You may be exposed to biological effects in a number of work processes. These include:
- Work on or with drain connection.
- Animal and rat excrement during renovation works.
- Clearance in connection with mould attacks.
Drains and wastewater
You may vomit or suffer from diarrhoea if you inhale aerosols or have skin contact with wastewater. You can avoid unnecessary contact with wastewater by using disposable overalls, gloves or special workwear. This clothing must not be taken home and washed.
If your mostly involves working with wastewater or drain sludge, you must be vaccinated against tetanus, hepatitis A and polio.
In the case of other work, e.g. removal of waste pipes and similar, you should be vaccinated against tetanus.
Pigeon and rat excrement
Dust from animal excrement may contain endotoxins which are harmful to health. Therefore, preliminary surveys must take place in areas such as basements and attics during renovation work.
Such preliminary surveys must show whether there are any things left behind by animals or humans which are harmful to health. These may include pigeon droppings, rat excrement and drug addicts’ syringes.
Work must be planned so that the things left behind which are harmful to health are removed before renovation work commences. You must use personal protective equipment in the form of respiratory protection,disposable overalls and gloves.
Dealing with mould
You may encounter mould in structures during renovation work. Mould can be found in private buildings, public institutions, schools, etc. Some varieties of mould give off toxic spores and may cause health problems. It is often the case that you cannot see with the naked eye whether or not a mould present is harmful to health, so it is necessary always to handle mould with case.
When removing mould, it is necessary to protect yourself and your surroundings against effects which are harmful to health. At the same time, it is necessary to ensure that infected dust and mould spores are not spread. Be aware that remaining in infected rooms may pose a risk. Therefore, any users should also be notified of this.
Avoid touching with your bare hands any materials which have been attacked by mould.
Use a vacuum cleaner with an H13 filter to avoid inhaling spores and dust and getting mould spores or dust in your eyes.
The machine must be disinfected after use and the filter must be replaced, or else the machine must be sealed and only used for mould. If the machine is left idle for any length of time, it must be cleaned and the filters must be replaced.
Use personal protective equipment in the form of:
- Close-fitting gloves and footwear.
- Dustproof, full-cover overalls (disposable where applicable).
- A turbo mask with an A2/P3 filter, or possibly respiratory protection with an air supply.